Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Gift for No Reason





I haven't knitted in quite some time.  For some reason, lately I've felt driven to pick up the sticks and some nice yarn and complete something.  (It must have been sparked by my recent work with wool roving for needle felting). 

I found some variegated Kettle-Dyed Malabrigo 100% merino wool in a shade of red and pink that was like butter to handle.  It is my new favorite yarn - not that I've knitted with a wide variety or anything.  Buying yarn without a purpose is my usual M.O. and it often ends up tucked away in a box along with my guilt for not finding a project for it.



This time I found a very do-able pattern in Last Minute Knitted Gifts, a pattern which I will not divulge until the recipient has been gifted.  A hint about my methods:  I used double strands through out with a large diameter needle which made it a quick knit and so, so soft.  This is now my favorite way to knit.

This project was one of the most satisfying to knit as it was not intended as a birthday or Christmas gift - a gift for no other reason but to say I love you.

3 comments:

Sexy Lexi said...

Jen, you have inspired me! I think I need to take up knitting. You make it sound so soothing and satisfying.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure it is beautiful.

Have a wonderful NYE!

Jen Larsen said...

Hi Jen! I, too, am in love with knitting, although it's been a while since I've picked up my needles. Have you ever tried any yarn from Manos del Uruguay? It's really soft kettle-dyed wool that comes in amazing colors. Keep it up - it looks great!

Anonymous said...

That yarn is beautiful - nice choice. Happy New Year!